No products in the cart.
The Walkin’ vertebraVe is designed to give your patients the back support they need. This innovative back support system by a rehab professional for professionals. Each back brace combines the support and comfort typically only available in human back braces in a unique support system specifically designed for pets suffering from IVDD, arthritis, and back injuries.
The patented dual-layered support system is strategically built to support your patient’s spine and the surrounding epaxial muscles. The vertebraVe is designed with a layer of medical-grade memory foam that conforms to the pet’s body and the second layer of 3 additional support rods placed directly over the spine for a custom fit.
- Adjustable and easy to use
- Durable and lightweight
- Constructed of breathable materials allowing for all day wear
- May be used for post-surgical recovery and rehab
- Change support levels and increase range of motion as spine heals by removing support rods
- Allows for on the spot fitting, eliminates the need for a Thermoplast spine stabilizer
Designed in the USA by Renee Mills, VT, CCRP (patent pending).
Have your patient’s back and stock the vertebraVe at your practice. Select the vertebraVe Pro Kit to purchase one of every size!
Measure your patient’s Topline measurement from Point of Shoulders to Top of Pelvis. It’s best to do this in a standing position.
If you need assistance deciding on the best size for your patient, please call our Vet Resource Support Team at 866-578-2926, they will help you to determine the correct size for your patient.
|XSmall||6″-9″||10 – 15 lbs.|
|Small||9″-11″||15 – 25 lbs|
|Medium||11″-13″||25 – 50 lbs.|
|Large||13″-15″||50 – 80 lbs.|
|XLarge||15″ or greater||80 lbs. and greater|
* Dachshunds Topline 9″-13″ fit size Small
* Corgis Topline 11″-16″ fit size Medium
How to Measure for the Walkin’ vertebraVe for Pets!
How to Put the vertebraVe on Your Patient
The vertebraVe support system consists of the chest harness, the main back support, and the lumbar support piece. The vertebraVe comes with the chest harness attached to the main support piece.
Remember, the first time you place the vertebraVe on your patient, the fitting process can take some time until perfectly adjusted. Once the back support is fitted, it has an easy on and off application.
- Undo the touch fasteners on the back support mesh side panels and unclip chest piece side clips. The top of the chest harness and brace will still be connected. Slide the vertebraVe over your pet’s head. This will get the chest harness piece and primary back support in place to adjust.
- Wrap the mesh side panels around the patient and fasten snugly under the pet’s belly using the touch fasteners.
- Attach both side clips on the chest harness piece by snapping into each side of the main back support piece. Now, tighten the straps connecting the main back support piece to fit the pet securely. When adjusted correctly, the chest piece should be centered on the pet’s chest.
- The last step is the lumbar support piece. This piece will snap into each side of the main back support piece at the back of the brace. Make sure to place the soft side of the piece against your pet’s belly. Then tighten each strap for a snug fit. Lumbar support is optional. Use lumbar support to better secure the back of the brace or support patients with high lumbar pain or spinal injury.
* For male pets, make sure the lumbar support piece is tucked underneath the penis to allow them to urinate freely.
* Once all adjustments have been made and the brace is correctly fitted to the pet, excess webbing straps may be trimmed and edges sealed using a lighter if necessary.
To remove the brace:
- Unhook lumbar support piece if using
- Unhook the two chest harness straps connected to the main back support piece on the dog’s side.
- Undo the mesh side panels.
- Slide over your pet’s head to remove the brace.
How does the vertebraVe back brace work?
The vertebraVe’s patented three-piece support system is designed to support the spine and surrounding epaxial muscles while still allowing your pet to run, sit and go to the bathroom. The dual-layered, patented design offers support and conforms to a pet’s back for the best possible support system. While worn, the brace prevents the patient from over-flexing or extending their back when the support is on and protects areas affected by injury or disease. The optional Lumbar Support piece may be used to get a snugger fit and offer more support to the lower back.
How long can a pet wear the back brace?
Every pet is different. Some pets may benefit from wearing it all day, or some pets may need it only during walks and more strenuous activities. The breathable medical-grade materials allow for extended wear, although we recommend taking it off while the pet sleeps.
How should my client clean the back support?
Spot clean vertebraVe with a clean cloth or sponge. Lay flat to let the back brace air dry. Machine washing is not recommended and may affect the stability of the product. We recommend using a lint roller to remove hair from touch fasteners on mesh side panels.
Can I use my leash with the vertebraVe?
Absolutely! There is a built-in D-Ring on top of the vertebraVe for you to clip a leash to.
Can a pet got the bathroom with the back support on?
Yes. The vertebraVe is designed not to interfere with a pet’s ability to urinate or defecate. For male pets, if wearing the lumbar support, make sure it is tucked under the penis to allow them to pee freely.
Does my patient have to wear the lumbar support?
No, the lumbar strap that connects under the abdomen is optional and is not needed for all pets. The lumbar support helps secure the back of the brace tighter and offers more support to pets with lower back pain. The lumbar support piece can be removed if not needed.
Can I remove the metal support spines?
Yes, they can be removed. The metal rods are designed to limit hyperflexion and hyperextension of the spine; as a pet heals, these may be removed to increase range of motion or if lighter support is needed. Once the metal support rods are removed, the patient’s back will continue to be supported by the memory foam layers.
Will the vertebraVe fit a large breed dog?
Yes. The vertebraVe was explicitly designed to fill the gap in the market for larger dogs. The vertebraVe is the only back brace available to fit every size dog.