The Walkin’ vertebraVe is designed to give your patients the back support they need. This innovative back support system for pets combines the support and comfort in a brace specifically designed for pets suffering from IVDD, arthritis, and back injuries.
The patented dual layered support system is strategically built to support your patient’s spine and the surrounding epipaxal muscles. The vertebraVe is designed with a layer of medical grade memory foam that conforms to the pet’s body and a second layer of 3 additional support rods placed directly over the spine for a custom fit.
- Adjustable and easy to use
- May be used for post-surgical recovery and rehab
- Remove support rods to lessen support and increase range of motion as spine heals
- Allows for on the spot fitting, eliminates need for a Thermoplast spine stabilizer
- Durable and lightweight
- Constructed of breathable materials allowing for all day wear
- Designed in the USA by Renee Mills, VT, CCRP (patent pending).
Measure your patient’s Topline measurement from Point of Shoulders to Top of Pelvis. It’s best to do this in a standing position.
If you need assistance deciding on the best size for your patient, please call our Vet Resource Support Team at 866-578-2926, they will help you to determine the correct size for your patient.
|XSmall||6″-9″||10 – 15 lbs.|
|Small||9″-11″||15 – 25 lbs|
|Medium||11″-13″||25 – 50 lbs.|
|Large||13″-15″||50 – 80 lbs.|
|XLarge||15″ or greater||80 lbs. and greater|
* Dachshunds Topline 9″-13″ fit size Small
* Corgis Topline 11″-16″ fit size Medium
How to Put the vertebraVe on Your Patient
The vertebraVe support system consists of three parts. The chest harness, main back support and the lumbar support piece. The vertebraVe comes with the chest harness already attached to the main support piece.
Remember, the first time you place the vertebraVe on your patient there will be a fitting process to make sure it fits properly, once adjusted it’s an easy on and off application.
- Undo the touch fasteners on the back support mesh side panels and unclip chest piece side clips. Slide the chest harness piece, while connected to the main back support, over your pet’s head. This will get the chest harness piece and main back support in place to adjust.
- Wrap the mesh side panels underneath the belly and fasten snugly using touch fasteners.
- Attach both side clips on the chest harness piece which by snapping into each side of the main back support piece.
- Tighten the straps connected into the main back support piece to securely fit the pet.
- Tighten all strap on the chest harness piece to hug patient tightly. The chest piece should be centered on the pet’s chest.
- The last step is the lumbar support piece. This piece will snap into each side of the main back support piece at the back of the brace. Make sure to place the soft side of the piece against your pet’s belly. Then tighten each strap for a snug fit. Lumbar support is optional. Use lumbar support to better secure back of brace or use to support patients with high lumbar pain or spinal injury.
* For male pets, make sure the lumbar support piece is tucked underneath the penis to allow them to potty freely.
* Once all adjustments have been made, and brace is correctly fitted to pet, excess webbing straps may be trimmed, and edges sealed using a lighter if necessary.
To remove the brace:
- Unhook lumbar support piece if using
- Unhook the two chest harness straps where they connect to the main back support piece.
- Undo the mesh side panels.
- Slide over your pet’s head.
Spot clean vertebraVe with clean cloth or sponge. Lay flat to let air dry. Machine washing not recommended and may affect the stability of product. To remove hair from touch fasteners on mesh side panels, we recommend using a lint roller.
How does it work?
The vertebraVe’s patented three-piece support system is designed to support the spine and surrounding epipaxal muscles while still allowing your pet to run, sit and go the bathroom. The dual layered, patented design offers support and conforms to a pet’s back for the best possible support system. Preventing over flexing or extending their back when the support is on and protects areas which are affected by injury or disease. The optional Lumbar Support piece may be used to get a snugger fit and offer more support to the lower back.
How long can a pet wear it?
Every pet is different. Some pets may benefit from wearing it all day or some pets may just need it for walks and activity. The breathable medical grade materials allow for extended wear, although we recommend taking it off while the pet sleeps.
How do I care for the support?
Hand wash vertebraVe with clean cloth or sponge. Lay flat to let air dry. Machine washing not recommended and may affect the stability of product. To remove hair from touch fasteners on side panel, we recommend using a lint roller.
Can I use my leash with the vertebraVe?
Absolutely! There is a built in D-Ring on top of the vertebraVe for you to clip a leash to.
Can my pet go to the bathroom with the support on?
Yes.The vertebraVe is designed not interfere with a pet’s ability to do their business! For male pets, if wearing the lumbar support make sure it is tucked under the penis to allow him to potty freely.
Does my patient have to wear the lumbar support?
No, the lumbar strap that connects under the abdomen is optional and is not needed for all pets. The lumbar strap helps secure the back of the brace on tighter and offers more support to pets with lower back pain.
Can I remove the metal support spines?
Yes, they can be removed. The metal rods are designed to limit hyperflexion and hyperextension of the spine, as a pet heals these may be removed to increase range of motion or if lighter support is needed. However, we always recommend that pet parents speak with their pet care professional before removing the metal support rods.
Will the vertebraVe fit my large breed dog?
Yes. The vertebraVe was specifically designed to fill the gap in the market for larger dogs. The vertebraVe is the only back brace available to fit every size dog.